The Calgary Fire Department warns that carbon monoxide detectors are necessary in extremely cold weather.

By: 600011 On: Jan 14, 2024, 10:54 AM

The Calgary Fire Department is on alert after a carbon monoxide leak in a Calgary home sent three people to hospital yesterday. Firefighters have warned that homes should have working carbon monoxide detectors in exceptionally cold weather. When the temperature drops, the amount of carbon monoxide increases. This underscores the importance of carbon monoxide detectors, the fire department said. Since the beginning of this week, the department has received about 30 calls about carbon monoxide.

According to Kätä, the number of stoves causing carbon monoxide problems increases during the winter months. Regular furnace maintenance is one thing you can do at home to prevent carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide is produced not only by furnaces, but also by hot water tanks, fireplaces and wood stoves.

Authorities also recommend using them only appropriately..